Your backyard and garden should be a peaceful and serene spot. Maybe you like to grow heirloom tomatoes for summer salads or enjoy pruning your gorgeous rose bushes.
Weeds and insects love to move in and threaten the health and aesthetic appeal of your lawn which can quickly turn into a large-scale problem.
The purchase and use of a garden sprayer can help you to reclaim your outdoor wonderland. With so many versions of garden sprayers on the market finding the right one can be a huge hassle.
Selecting the Best Garden Sprayers in January, 2020
Field King Professional
15 x 22.5 x 9.5 inches
22.2 x 18.5 x 26 inches
Chapin International 61800
14.8 x 8.4 x 22.2 inches
|Smith Contractor 190216|
22.5 x 9.5 x 10 inches
|Chapin International 26021XP|
8.1 x 8.1 x 24.6 inches
7.7 x 10.5 x 14 inches
|TABOR TOOLS N-50|
16.1 x 7.1 x 7.1 inches
|Chapin International G362|
7.8 x 3.1 x 9.3 inches
5 x 8 x 12 inches
8.1 x 8.1 x 18.2 inches
1. Field King Professional Backpack Garden Sprayer 190328 : Best All-Around Backpack Style Garden Sprayer
The last thing you want to feel while spraying your garden is the trickle of dangerous and caustic chemicals slowly traveling down your skin.
The Field King Professional Backpack Garden Sprayer also has one of the most durable spraying wands that we were able to get our hands on.
2. Master Gardener Rechargeable Cart Sprayer : Best Heavy-Duty Garden Sprayer Option
The Master Gardener Rechargeable Cart Sprayer is one of the most versatile garden sprayers our testing team had the privilege of trying out. This cart-style sprayer can produce a mist with a width of up to 50 inches.
The sprayer is very powerful and has the ability to deliver vertical sprays of 15 feet and horizontal sprays of up to 20 feet.
The Master Gardener Rechargeable Cart Sprayer rolls thanks to durable 12-inch tires.
3. Chapin International Backpack Sprayer 61800 : Most Comfortable Backpack Sprayer
The tank has a wider mouth opening of four inches. This feature is helpful since you won’t be as apt to spill chemicals or water.
The Chapin International Backpack Sprayer includes a three-stage filtration system with an easily cleaned filter.
4. Smith Contractor Sprayer 190216 : Best Budget-Priced Garden Sprayer for Insecticides and General Use
The Smith Contractor Sprayer 190216 is a wonderfully priced option. This sprayer is also quite versatile as it can be used on lawns, gardens, as well as cleaning, sanitizing, and spraying for commercial use.
It has a commercial grade spraying wand which has been crafted from premium materials to increase its durability and performance.
The Smith Contractor Sprayer 190216 has a 21-inch spraying wand which will allow you to deftly reach under leaves and foliage where insects love to burrow and live.
5. Chapin International Compression Sprayer 26021XP : Inexpensive Sprayer for Smaller Yards and Gardens
The tank includes a filter that’s both removable and cleanable.
The Chapin International Compression Sprayer 26021XP is inexpensively priced which is its strongest selling point.
6. Hudson Battery Power Garden Backpack Sprayer 13581 : Longest Lasting Battery Sprayer
The sprayer works for an average of ten hours, and it is very easy to get used to using.
The Hudson Battery Power Garden Backpack Sprayer 13581 is a smaller sprayer and can hold 1.3 gallons of yard treatment fluid.
7. TABOR TOOLS N-50 : Awesome Budget Garden Sprayer
It is also well-built and can safely hold hot liquids up to 131°F as well as solvent-free chemicals.
This offering from TABOR TOOLS is also very easy to fill and use.
8. Chapin International All-Purpose Hose-End Garden Sprayer G362 : Best Hose-End Attaching Garden Sprayer
With this option, you can easily spray up to 100 gallons of material.
The Chapin International All-Purpose Hose-End Garden Sprayer G362 includes a built-in anti-siphoning feature to prevent any issues with contamination of your water.
9. COREGEAR Classic USA Mister : Fun and Versatile Little Mister
The COREGEAR Classic USA Mister is perfect for toting around on a hot day at the zoo or a theme park.
You can quickly give yourself a quick spray to get through a sweltering day.
10. Chapin International 200002 Garden Sprayer : Garden Sprayer with the Least Performance Probs
The tank also has a funnel styled top, so it is much easier to fill than similar versions.
The Chapin International 200002 Garden Sprayer earned high marks from our testing team thanks to its performance.
Best Garden Sprayers – Buyer’s Guide
Finding the best garden sprayer for you and your needs can be a difficult task. There are currently hundreds of garden sprayers available for purchase. Sorting through all of the specs and features is a sure-fire way to induce a migraine.
During our testing and review of the top ten garden sprayers, we learned so many new and helpful tips. As a result, we are now passing that knowledge on to you to assist you in understanding which sprayer features are key and which are overkill. Let’s get started!
Do I Really Need a Garden Sprayer?
Just like any important purchase, thinking about if you truly need a garden sprayer is a terrific way to understand how it will help you. Let’s take a closer look at the many helpful features of garden sprayers.
Your new garden sprayer can assist you in many ways and make gardening easier and much more pleasant. Here’s a look at the reasons why you need a garden sprayer.
- Help take the guesswork out of measuring. Many weed killers and other garden treatments require precise measurements. You do not want to use your regular, everyday measuring cup to mix dangerous chemicals. Having a garden sprayer lets you accurately measure and mix pesticides and other chemicals as well.
- Garden sprayers employ a variety of methods to allow you to customize the coverage of the treatment. Sometimes you may need to adjust the garden sprayer to provide a fine misting of the mixture over your plants. For killing weeds by directly drenching them, you will need to use a longer and more pinpointed stream.
- As opposed to hoses, a garden sprayer starts when you want it to and shuts off just as quickly. Other items, like garden hoses, tend to take a while to build up force and still leech out water after you have turned it off. Precise starting and stopping allow you to remain in control of dangerous chemicals so you can rest easy knowing you are keeping you and your loved ones safer.
- Garden sprayers also help you not to waste materials. Lawn treatments, pesticides, and weed killers can cost a pretty penny. Utilizing a specialized garden sprayer lets you use the exact amount you need without wasting any, which will save you money in the long run.
- A garden sprayer will allow you to spray side to side, up and down, and lets you get under leaves using a long reaching hose and spraying wand attachment. Getting under leaves and bushes to where insects typically feast on your plants means healthier gardens with less effort on your part.
- You can save even more money by purchasing concentrated treatments for your garden and lawn. They are less expensive than their premixed counterparts and work just as effectively.
What are the Different Types of Garden Sprayers?
Garden sprayers come in a plethora of shapes and sizes. The sprayers fall into several broader categories. Let’s take a better look at the pros and cons of each version.
- Backpack Garden Sprayers: A backpack garden sprayer works like a backpack allowing you full use of your arms. A typical backpack style sprayer holds approximately four gallons. The over your shoulder configuration makes carrying a heavier and larger amount of liquid easier and less cumbersome. Many of the sprayers rely on a lever pump which helps you to maintain the necessary pressure without needing to remove the backpack.
• Hose End Garden Sprayers: This version of a garden sprayer attaches on to the end of your garden hose. The sprayer “jar” holds concentrated materials for killing weeds, bugs, or helping your plants get extra nutrition through the use of a lawn treatment. The water from the hose mixes with the concentrated solution, diluting it before spraying it out onto your plants. Hose end garden sprayers have a safety feature built in that works as an anti-siphon, so you won’t need to stress over chemicals being pulled back into your water supply.
• Tank Garden Sprayers: Tank garden sprayers are also referred to as compression garden sprayers. They are the most common type of sprayer. This version requires concentrated material to be added to the tank. Water is then added in the proper proportion. Air is pressurized thanks to a pump handle. The sprayer wand then shoots the mixture out wherever you spray it. A tank or compression sprayer allows you to customize the stream from a fine mist to a concentrated stream depending on the materials you are working with and your desired end results. This style allows for you to select from smaller versions that hold up to a quart or very large models that accommodate multiple gallons.
When Should I spray?
Adopting a regular spraying schedule will assist you in achieving and maintaining your best garden yet.
In the early Spring, you should plan on dormant spraying. Pests like to take up residence in bushes and shrubs over the winter. Consider this their early Springtime eviction notice. You can also apply an herbicide to kill any emerging weeds as well.
In the Summer, you are able to take steps to eradicate mosquitos by spraying standing water and weed patches. You can also plan on spraying for other types of soil and plant-dwelling insects. Summer also is a big time for weeds, so a spray program can assist you in keeping them in check. Additionally, this is a wonderful time for assessing and treating any diseased plants.
Fall marks a terrific time for spraying around your home’s foundation. This action will help to keep creepy crawlies from attempting to invade your house. You should also check the status of all houseplants at this time.
Garden Sprayer Safety
Safely using your new garden sprayer will ensure it lasts as long as possible while keeping you and your loved ones as safe as possible. Here are some helpful safety tips.
- If you are working with dangerous chemicals, be sure to purchase and use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as gloves, a face mask, and long sleeves
- Always check your PPE for tears, rips, or damage
- If you need to, wear goggles and a respirator as certain chemicals can be deadly if breathed in or may cause blindness if they come into contact with your eyes
- Only use chemicals and treatments as directed and follow the manufacturer’s directions fully
- Use only the recommended amount
- Mix and prep solutions in a well-ventilated area
- Remove items like toys, pet items, and cover birdbaths before spraying
- Do not eat, drink, or smoke while spraying
- Keep kids and pets away before, during, and after spraying as they do not understand how dangerous the chemicals are
- Clean all garden sprayers and equipment fully after each and every use to prevent accidental mixing of chemicals
- Try not to spray on windy days
- Rainy days are also problematic for garden spraying
- Take a shower and shampoo your hair after spraying
- Clean your clothing and PPE according to the manufacturer’s directions
Finding the best garden sprayer for you and your garden’s specific needs doesn’t need to be a nightmare. While there are countless versions available, finding the best version is easy when you think about the key considerations. Keeping your spraying routine, budget, and needs in your mind will greatly expedite the process.
We hope you enjoyed our reviews of the top ten garden sprayers and that you gained some helpful insight from our buyer’s guide. We love connecting with our readers! Leave us a quick line below with any tips or tricks you use when spraying your garden.