Lawn care and maintenance is key to creating a beautiful and serene lawn. Weeds and overgrowth can turn a blissfully beautiful yard into an untidy eyesore seemingly overnight.
Weed eaters come in a plethora of shapes and sizes each with unique features and attributes.
Black and Decker LST136 40V Max String Trimmer
Best Weed Eaters in Our Rating
- High engine power for fast operation
- Energy efficient battery for long life
- Lightweight design without straining your arms and back
- Easy to transform from trimmer to edger
Selecting the Best Weed Eaters in July, 2020
46.5 x 13.5 x 11 inches
|Makita XRU02Z 18V LXT|
5.2 x 19.1 x 13.3 inches
67.8 x 10.9 x 8.8 inches
11.2 x 12.2 x 36.8 inches
70 x 8 x 8 inches
|Black & Decker GH900|
8.5 x 36.4 x 4.9 inches
|WORX 20-Volt WG160|
46.5 x 14 x 8.3 inches
69 x 6.5 x 12.5 inches
39 x 13 x 5.2 inches
37.9 x 9.1 x 8.4 inches
1. Black and Decker LST136 40V Max String Trimmer : Best Lighter Weight Battery Operated String Trimmer
The Black and Decker LST136 40V Max String Trimmer features a power drive transmission which delivers a higher level of power from the weed eater’s motor. The result is a trimmer that allows you to work faster and finish sooner.
Our testing team was astonished at the level of power in this option with such a lightweight trimmer.
The Black and Decker LST136 40V Max String Trimmer runs on a 40-volt lithium battery. You are able to customize the weed eater using the Power Command Dial.
2. Makita XRU02Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless String Trimmer : Terrific Choice for Individuals with Arthritis
The Makita XRU02Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless String Trimmer has been crafted with a Makita built motor which delivers 7,800 RPM. With this level of power, you will be able to cut faster with greater accuracy.
Our testing team members appreciated this weed eater’s ergonomic design, which is a terrific detail for individuals with arthritis or mobility concerns.
The Makita XRU02Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless String Trimmer features a telescoping shaft. The shaft will adjust in length from 48.5 inches to 56.5 inches to allow you to find the perfect length for your needs.
3. DeWalt DCST920P1 Brushless Trimmer : Super Powerful Cordless Trimmer Option for Tough Weeds
This offering from DeWalt impressed our testing team members with its ability to power through tough weeds and foliage.
The DeWalt DCST920P1 Brushless Trimmer includes a patented gear drive design as well as a 13-inch cutting swath.
4. Troy-Bilt TB42 2-Cycle Gas Brushcutter : Best Gas-Powered Weed Eater Option
The Troy-Bilt TB42 2-Cycle Gas Brushcutter perfectly powers through your toughest weed and brush cutting tasks. Our testing team loved the Jump Start feature which eliminates the need to pull a cord to start the motor.
Many weed eaters that are gas-powered can be a huge pain to start but that issue is non-existent with this option from Troy-Bilt.
The Troy-Bilt TB42 2-Cycle Gas Brushcutter has an adjustable J handle. This feature is wonderful as it allows you to exert a greater lever of control when using.
5. Hitachi CG23ECPSL 2-Cycle Gas Powered Trimmer : Lovely Lighter Weight Gas Powered Option
The Hitachi CG23ECPSL 2-Cycle Gas Powered Trimmer is lighter than similar gas-powered options. This was great news for many of our testing team members that hate lugging very heavy weed eaters around.
The Hitachi Trimmer is longer at just over 69 inches, which helps to lessen fatigue that would normally occur from bending and slouching over.
The Hitachi CG23ECPSL 2-Cycle Gas Powered Trimmer has a 22.5 cc engine that meets emission levels.
6. Black & Decker GH900 String Trimmer : Best Corded Electric Weed Eater Option
The Black & Decker GH900 String Trimmer features an AFS automatic feed system which is helpful in ensuring that the trimmer works continuously. Our testing team members loved how light this trimmer is and that it has been ergonomically designed.
The height of the trimmer is comfortable and also includes a pivoting handle to protect hands and wrists from fatigue or pain.
The Black & Decker GH900 String Trimmer is an electric corded option. You can cut 13-inch paths quickly thanks to a 6.5-amp motor and a high torque transmission.
7. WORX 20-Volt WG160 String Trimmer : Best for Individuals with Mobility Issues or Pain Concerns
Finding a trimmer that is comfy and easy to use can be a big problem for folks that have arthritis, back or neck pain, or any concerns with moving around.
Our testing team members were blown away at how powerful this trimmer is and how light is truly is. The WORX 20-Volt WG160 String Trimmer is actually three tools in one.
8. Greenworks PRO Cordless String Trimmer : Most Powerful Cordless Trimmer
The Greenworks PRO Cordless String Trimmer provides approximately 45 minutes of running time on a single charge. This trimmer has a brushless DigiPro motor which is more reliable and provides a level of power that is almost on par with the gas-powered choices we tested.
In fact, the trimmer is as powerful as a trimmer with a 32cc gas engine making it well suited to tackling tough vegetation tasks.
Our testing team enjoyed testing the Greenworks PRO Cordless String Trimmer thanks to its split boom design.
9. EGO Power+ Cordless Brushless String Trimmer : Best Luxury-Priced Weed Eater Option
Our testing team was apprehensive at first since this model is brushless, but it easily clears paths up to 15 inches at a time.
The EGO Power+ Cordless Brushless String Trimmer features an aluminum shaft that is extendable up to 49 inches in length.
10. Greenworks 14-Inch 40-Volt Cordless Trimmer : Most Versatile Cordless Weed Eater Option
The Greenworks 14-Inch 40-Volt Cordless Trimmer earned high marks from our testing team thanks to its versatility. This trimmer accepts most gas-powered attachments which makes it extremely easy and straightforward to use it in many different ways.
Our testing team loved how light this weed eater is when compared to other versions. It is very easy to carry and operate even for individuals with arthritic pain.
The Greenworks 14-Inch 40-Volt Cordless Trimmer features a brushless motor which ends up providing more torque with less sound.
The Best Weed Eater – Buyer’s Guide
Whether you are new to weed eaters or are more of a seasoned pro, finding the best string trimmer for your needs can be a difficult chore. There are hundreds of versions of weed eaters currently available for sale. Each weed trimmer claims to have the best specs and performance, making it harder to understand which is truly the best.
While testing the top weed eaters available, we learned a ton of new and helpful knowledge. We would love to pass that information on to you, so you can find the best string trimmer for you and your lawn’s needs. Let’s get started!
Weed Eater Power Supply Options
String trimmers or weed eaters fall under two broad categories of power: gas and electric. Let’s take a closer look at the good and bad qualities of each version.
Gas-powered weed eaters are extremely powerful. They are perfect for larger properties or yards and are built to withstand heavier use. This version does not leave you tethered to a power cord, which is also a definite plus.
Gas power string trimmers will require a greater deal of maintenance. You will also need to add oil and gas into the machine which can be annoying as you must follow strict guidelines for mixing. Gas can also create harmful emissions that are damaging to our environment and smell quite terrible at times.
Electric-powered weed eaters are an environmentally sound investment. You won’t need to stress over correct oil to gasoline ratios and can enjoy using your string trimmer with less upkeep and maintenance chores.
Electrically powered trimmers may be corded or cordless. If you have a cord, you will be tethered to your power source, which can be a deal breaker for some folks. Cordless versions with usually run on a lithium-ion battery. You will need to recharge the battery which can take a very long time just to have the weed eater run out of juice and quit on you in the middle of a tough task.
Key Considerations for Finding the Best Weed Eater
Picking the right string trimmer can be confusing at best. Let’s take a peek at some of the most important considerations.
- Weight: You will be bearing the full weight of your new weed eater. The lighter it is, the easier it will be to maneuver around as you perfect your lawn. Shoulder straps can also be utilized to help with a heavier load.
- Safety Features: Ample safety guards are perhaps the most crucial consideration. Pick a weed eater with safety features such as a protective shield that prevents users from being hit by debris. Doing so will ensure your safety and the beauty of your lawn simultaneously.
- Trigger Lock: A trigger lock prevents the weed eater from causing damage to the unit’s head when not in use.
- Noise Levels: As a general rule, gas-powered models are noisier and electric versions are quieter.
- Capabilities: If you own a larger property with tough or thick vegetation you will most likely need a heavier duty model. Look for weed eaters equipped with dual lines crafted from nylon. Tougher tasks require a line measuring .08 inches or thicker.
- Edging Option: Many weed eaters have a swivel head which is rotated to an ideal position for edging. Some models may require that you turn the entire trimmer. Regardless of the method, the finished product should leave a nice, crisp edge.
- Good Vibrations: Weed eaters, especially the ones powered by gasoline, can vibrate a lot. This can tire you out faster and cause pain. Check vibration ratings and look for options with antivibration technology to prevent these issues.
Weed Eater Safety Tips
Staying safe while using your new string trimmer to whack weeds is the most important issue we will cover. Here is a quick look at some tips to help you work safely.
- Wear the right gear: Thick working boots, appropriate gloves, and safety goggles.
- Avoid loose fighting clothes. Keep your legs and arms covered by clothing to avoid injury from flying debris.
- Don’t wear a scarf. Tie up long hair in a bun.
- Do not use the weed eater near kids or pets.
- Use both hands and keep a tight grip on the weed eater.
A weed eater or string trimmer can help you to achieve your most beautiful and serene yard ever. Finding the best string trimmer for you and your property can be stressful. Understanding the features while keeping your budget and needs in mind will help make the process as painless as possible.
We hope that you had a fun time reading our reviews of the top weed eaters and learned something new from our string trimmer buyer’s guide. Hearing back from our loyal readers is the best part of our week! Please drop us a quick line below with your favorite weed eaters and any helpful tips for operating them safely. Happy weed whacking!